Wednesday, February 08, 2006

One-Piece Baby Sweater on a Round Loom


One-Piece Baby Sweater
http://craftdujour.blogspot.com/

Materials:
green Knifty Knitter (36 peg)
Caron Simply Soft yarn, 2 strands used as 1
K or M crochet hook

The sweater is knit up from the bottom of the back as a flat panel. By increasing, the sleeves are added. Then the front is divided with each side worked separately. The side sleeve and side seams are sewn. It is finished with a crochet edge and ties.

All knitting is 1 over 1. Only break yarn when indicated.

Starting with back:
E-wrap pegs 1 through 12, knit 23 rows as a flat panel using pegs 13 & 36 as turning pegs.
Break yarn.
To add sleeves:
E-wrap across loom, starting with peg 26 and ending with peg 23. Only pegs 24 &25 will be empty.
Knit middle section to attach back to sleeves.
Knit 12 rows as a flat panel all the way across using pegs 25 & 24 as turning pegs.
To create neck opening:
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 9 through 4. Place last loop on peg 3.
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 23 through 13. Place last loop on peg 12.
To finish right side front:
Knit 24 rows as a flat panel on pegs 6 through 12 using pegs 5 & 13 as turning pegs.
Flat panel/crochet bind-off.
Break yarn.
To finish working left sleeve and left neck edge:
E-wrap pegs 26 through 3. (First wrap the yarn around the frame a few times at peg 26 to secure it while working the first few rows). Knit 12 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 8 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 25. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 26 through 16. Place last loop on peg 1.
To finish left side front:
Knit 24 rows as a flat panel on pegs 1 through 7 using pegs 36 & 8 as turning pegs.
Flat panel/crochet bind-off.
Break yarn.
To finish:
Sew sleeve and side seams.
Attach yarn to bottom center back of sweater and single crochet around the entire edge (bottom, front openings, and neck openings) putting 3 single crochet in the corners of the bottom front openings.
Slip stitch to 1st single crochet. Chain 1.
Single crochet in each single crochet around, placing 3 single crochet in the corner single crochet. Also, add ties at this time to the top and center of the opening edges by chaining 25 at the desired point. Slipstitch into each chain and into the same single crochet as the previous one. Continue to single crochet to the next tie. (This attaches the ties as you go and eliminates any further sewing and hiding of ends. I usually note placement of the ties with a contrasting scrap of yarn before starting the second round of single crochet to save time and be sure the ties will line up.)
Bind off.
Work in ends.

You may link to this page, but please do not post this pattern on any other site or board. Thank you!

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried this over the weekend, and found your directions to be very clear and a wonderful pattern also! I used white simply soft and a silver metallic thread, and once finished edged with baby lash in pink..it's very sweet. My only concern is that this is a tiny sweater (newborn size) and I'd like to bump it up to 3-6 months size on the yellow frame, but thought it would be too open-weaved.
GREAT WORK!!

Anonymous said...

I was very excited about this pattern and have tried it no less than five times! Please help! I always get to the part where I have completed the neck opening and then it goes downhill.

When you bind off pegs 23-13 and last loop on 12, is this suppose to be attached to the next part (knit 24 rows on pegs 6-12)? It seems to connect the neck. When you work on the left side, 24 rows pegs 1-7, it appears to create a very wide sleeve rather than the sleeve decreasing to form the front. I keep trying it because it is so cute and takes less time than others I have tried successfully- I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong!

CraftyMama said...

Hi! Take a look at the diagram here and see if it helps at all: http://members.tripod.com/~kpup/html/untitled.html This is what I used for my inspiration, I just made it to open up the middle of the front. If not let me know, it's time for dinner here now. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will try this and let you know!

madrevaca said...

Hi, I was wondering, what are turning pegs? Do they have to be wrapped when you get to them, or no?

Thank you,

Chay

CraftyMama said...

Yes, you do wrap the turning pegs but in a special way so as it knit a flat panel. Here are directions from the Provocraft site:
http://www.provocraft.com/projects/kniftyknitter/panel.knit.html. This refers to a long loom, but the steps are excatly the same. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern i would like to know if anyone made it to the yellow loom yet and what that pattern would be. Thank you!

Brenda said...

Are there any alternatives to single crocheting the bottom of the sweater? I use the looms because of fine motor skill problems so crocheting is very difficult for me.
Thanks,
Brenda

CraftyMama said...

Hi, Brenda!
I like the look and finished edge of the single crochet. It helps some with the rolling, too. You can try leaving it off and see how the sweater turns out. It may be ok without it. Or, if your skills allow, you could try a whipstitch or blanket-stitch edging just using a needle and yarn. That could be nice done in a complementary color. Let me know how it all works out!

Anonymous said...

I need help, I finished the back pannel and now im lost on how to start the arms... do i leave the back part on the loom while working on the sleeves? do i do peg 26 then go all the way around the loom till peg 24 or do i do peg 24-26 only wrapping 2 pegs for the sleeves?

Anonymous said...

I am stuck on finishing left sleeve and left neck edge do I go 26-3 backwards or forward

CraftyMama said...

If I understand your question correctly, you go forward, wrapping pegs 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 1, 2, & 3.

bethintx1 said...

I noticed a mis-print... I think this is what is confusing folks. It sure confused me at first!

The flat panel bind off at the end of the part “to finish working left sleeve and left neck edge,” It says to “flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 26-16”…that should say “pegs 26-36.”

Beth

Anonymous said...

Hi I am having some trouble starting the right neck and sleeve, do I bind off pegs 9-4 as in 9,10,11....3,4 or do i bind off pegs 4,5,6,7,8,9? also do i get a new piece of yarn to bind it off since my working yarn is still at peg 26? thanks any helpwould be great!

Angie said...

I love this pattern but I am stuck at this part:To create neck opening:
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 9 through 4. Place last loop on peg 3.
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 23 through 13. Place last loop on peg 12.....not sure what flat/panel/crochet bind of even means..help!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a question i hope can be answered very soon. I am trying to make the baby sweater for my sister who will be having her baby soon. I am not sure what i do on this I need help, I finished the back pannel and now im lost on how to start the arms... do i leave the back part on the loom while working on the sleeves? do i do peg 26 then go all the way around the loom till peg 24 or do i do peg 24-26 only wrapping 2 pegs for the sleeves? what does that mean?

CraftyMama said...

Yes. Leave the back on the loom while creating the arms. To do the arms, you start at peg 26 and wrap all the way around to 24. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Do I use 24 and 25 as flat panel?what doI do with the back if it's on loom hook the other yarn to the back panel?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
I have a question i hope can be answered very soon. I am trying to make the baby sweater for my sister who will be having her baby soon. I am not sure what i do on this I need help, I finished the back pannel and now im lost on how to start the arms... do i leave the back part on the loom while working on the sleeves? do i do peg 26 then go all the way around the loom till peg 24 or do i do peg 24-26 only wrapping 2 pegs for the sleeves? what does that mean?

November 17, 2011 10:49 PM

CraftyMama said...
Yes. Leave the back on the loom while creating the arms. To do the arms, you start at peg 26 and wrap all the way around to 24. Hope this helps!

November 18, 2011 6:01 AM

Anonymous said...
Do I use 24 and 25 as flat panel?what do I do with the back if it's on loom hook the other yarn to the back panel? and how do i knit it in the middle? Really need to know need to get this done.

Anonymous said...

Do I use 24 and 25 as flat panel?what do I do with the back if it's on loom hook the other yarn to the back panel? and how do i knit it in the middle? Really need to know need to get this done. Please help me

CraftyMama said...

I don't know what happened to my reply. I did answer the other day.
Nonetheless...to do the arms you are using the entire loom as flat panel. Start at peg 26 and wrap each peg twice until you get to the back. Now you only need to wrap once until you reach the other side b/c the back makes the bottom wrap. Wrap the remaining pegs twice for the sleeves. This "fuses" the back body to the sleeves.

Belle said...

I am having a bit of trouble doing the neck hole. I saw someone else asked the same question a little while back, but it hasn't been answered. How do you flat panel/crochet bind off?

CraftyMama said...

One of these videos should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAcOR_54rg&feature=youtu.be or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl8GVnyUgTU&feature=youtu.be Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I do not understand what to do on this part? Do i go from peg 9 to 4 and bind off? Also what does it mean to increase 1 peg on each row till i get to peg 5? What way do i go on the sweater from peg 3 around or the other way? please let me know as soon as possible as i would like to get this done really soon?
Thanks

To create neck opening:
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 9 through 4. Place last loop on peg 3.
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 23 through 13. Place last loop on peg 12.

Jamie said...

Please can someone help me out?
I do not understand what to do on this part? Do i go from peg 9 to 4 and bind off? Also what does it mean to increase 1 peg on each row till i get to peg 5? What way do i go on the sweater from peg 3 around or the other way? please let me know as soon as possible as i would like to get this done really soon?
Thanks

To create neck opening:
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 9 through 4. Place last loop on peg 3.
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 23 through 13. Place last loop on peg 12.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT VERY SOON.
I love this pattern but I am stuck at this part:To create neck opening:
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 9 through 4. Place last loop on peg 3.
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)
Flat panel/crochet bind-off pegs 23 through 13. Place last loop on peg 12.....not sure what flat/panel/crochet bind of even means..help!!!

CraftyMama said...

One of these videos should help with the bind-off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YAcOR_54rg&feature=youtu.be or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl8GVnyUgTU&feature=youtu.be Other than that, you are just shaping the neckline which adds a stitch on each row to make a v-neck before working even. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)so what do i do hear i am at peg 26? how do i get to the 9th peg?

CraftyMama said...

If I understand correctly where you are, I believe you need to flat panel knit back to peg 9 and then do the bind off for the neck edge. Does this sound like it should work?

Anonymous said...

PLEASE HELP ME I AM CONFUSED ON WHAT TO DO HERE PLEASE HELP ME I NEED TO GET THIS DONE FOR MY SISTER.not sure if i just do one peg or how many at once and do i go to 24 or just to 5?
To finish working right sleeve and right neck edge:
Knit 13 rows as a flat panel, increasing 1 peg at the neck edge on each row until peg 5 is the turning peg. Then work even. The sleeve edge turning peg is always peg 24. (Be sure working yarn is at neck edge at the end of the last row.)

CraftyMama said...

You will work a total of 13 rows. For the one side, peg 24 will always be the turning peg. This makes the edge of the sleeve. For the other side, the neck edge you are essentially making a v-neck, so you add one extra peg each time until you reach peg 5. Then continue using peg 5 as the turning peg until you have completed the 13 total rows. Then you will need to bind off the sleeve part and just work on finishing off the front with some flat panel rows. I do hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE HELP ME AGAIN COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. I NEED TO KNOW TODAY. when i do this part do i go all the way around the loom or do one side and then the other side o attach the sleeves? Because when i do it it doesn;t work for me going all the way around the loom.
E-wrap across loom, starting with peg 26 and ending with peg 23. Only pegs 24 &25 will be empty. ALSO is the right side on my loom starting going right 36 or do i count that as one which side should be 36 and peg 1? Not sure why but have tried this several times. please help me when u can would like it done she could be having her baby anytime.
Knit middle section to attach back to sleeves.
Knit 12 rows as a flat panel all the way across using pegs 25 & 24 as turning pegs.
ALSO I NEED TO KNOW: so i add another peg till i get to peg 5 and just go back and forth from 5 to 24 or no? And when do i start counting the rows from the time i start or not till i get to peg 5?
For the other side, the neck edge you are essentially making a v-neck, so you add one extra peg each time until you reach peg 5. Then continue using peg 5 as the turning peg until you have completed the 13 total rows.

CraftyMama said...

I'm trying help as best I can! :)
The sleeves go all the way across the loom.
The pegs are numbered clockwise around the loom.
Yes, just add another peg until you get to peg 5. Then go back and forth between peg 5 & 24. Start counting rows when you start. I don’t remember the count…but for example, if it takes you 6 rows to get to peg 5, you have 7 more rows to go.
Just so you can get a picture in your head, the sweater is made by starting with the back. That is a square/rectangle. When it is long enough, you add to each side to make the width for the sleeves. Then work that until it comes to the shoulders. Now you have to do the bind of for the neck and divide to do the part of the sleeve. The inside edge of that is worked as the v-neck. Once the sleeve is big enough, the sleeve edge is bound off and the rest of the side front of the sweater is made. Then you have to go back and complete the front half of the other sleeve and side front in a similar manner. When that is completed, you’ll have to sew the side and sleeve seams and add a decorated edge, if you choose.
Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

THANKS that should help me out. I just didn't understand how one sleeve was smaller then the other. so the first part where u e-wrap the pegs 1 through 12 is the back of the sweater right? oh and where it says flat panel and crochet bind off pegs 26 through 16 is that correct or should it be 26-36? thanks for all ur help any other questions and i will let u know.

Anonymous said...

ALSO DO I GO AROUND THE LOOM OR ACROSSED THE LOOM FROM 5 TO 24?

Anonymous said...

THANKS that should help me out. I just didn't understand how one sleeve was smaller then the other. so the first part where u e-wrap the pegs 1 through 12 is the back of the sweater right? oh and where it says flat panel and crochet bind off pegs 26 through 16 is that correct or should it be 26-36? thanks for all ur help any other questions and i will let u know.
ALSO DO I GO AROUND THE LOOM OR ACROSSED THE LOOM FROM 5 TO 24?
Do I keep wrapping the pegs by the back or do i just go one way then the other way to attach the sleeves. Not sure u say this Start at peg 26 and wrap each peg twice until you get to the back. Now you only need to wrap once until you reach the other side b/c the back makes the bottom wrap. Wrap the remaining pegs twice for the sleeves. This "fuses" the back body to the sleeves.

CraftyMama said...

You are welcome!
For the 24-5, keep going in whatever direction you were going before so the front of the sleeve matches the back.
For 26-16 or 26-36? Just bind off the 10 stitches that form the sleeve. Does that make sense?
Here is the diagram that inspired me to make this sweater. It has been a long time since I worked on it.

CraftyMama said...

http://members.tripod.com/~kpup/html/untitled.html is the inspiration diagram. The one you are making has a front opening, though. It is not a pullover as shown in the diagram.

Anonymous said...

ALSO DO I GO AROUND THE LOOM OR ACROSSED THE LOOM FROM 5 TO 24?
Do I keep wrapping the pegs by the back or do i just go one way then the other way to attach the sleeves. Not sure u say this Start at peg 26 and wrap each peg twice until you get to the back. Now you only need to wrap once until you reach the other side b/c the back makes the bottom wrap. Wrap the remaining pegs twice for the sleeves. This "fuses" the back body to the sleeves. so if i am going

Anonymous said...

SORRY I KEEP BUGGING YOU just want to get it right.
Do I keep wrapping the pegs by the back or do i just go one way then the other way to attach the sleeves. Not sure u say this Start at peg 26 and wrap each peg twice until you get to the back. Now you only need to wrap once until you reach the other side b/c the back makes the bottom wrap. Wrap the remaining pegs twice for the sleeves. This "fuses" the back body to the sleeves. so do i keep wrapping around 1 time or no to get the sleeves attatched to the back?

CraftyMama said...

When you finish the back, you cut the yarn. Then, start over at peg 26. You need to wrap the yarn twice b/c there is no yarn on these pegs. Once you get to the part you've already done, only wrap once b/c these pegs still the loops on them from the back. Once you are past there, you must wrap twice again. Only the 2 pegs on the middle will not be wrapped. This is making the arms and you use the full width of looms flat panel to do that.

Anonymous said...

the two pegs that will not be wrapped in the middle are pegs 24 and 25 correct?

CraftyMama said...

Yes, that is correct! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

This pattern looks adorable, but the pattern is really difficult to understand. I've tried it several times, and even with experience, always seem to mess up somewhere because things are so unclear. Is it possible to get a re-write? It looks like it's simpler than it seems. Please and thank you.

CraftyMama said...

I appreciate your comment, but re-writing is not something which I have time for at the moment. I can, however, tell you the basic process of the sweater, though.
You dvide the loom into 3rds. The middle third is the back/front, the 2 side 3rds are the arms.Work one third of the loom so its a rectangle just a bit longer than a square for the back. Then work the entire loom for the back of the arms. Now you "divide" and work on one front at a time. You must continue the front of the arm, but shorten the inside edge for the neck. By decreasing gradually you get the v-neck. Finally, the front arm has enough rows, so you quit that and just finish out the front length to match the back. Now you must do the other front side to match. Then do some sort of edging.
I do hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's getting a little better, but now I'm stuck again. My working yarn is on peg 5 at what I think is the "neck edge" and I'm at the point where I need to "flat panel/crochet bind off pegs 23-13." If I continue going forward from 5, I would be connecting the neck to the other side which doesn't right. And if I go back the other way, how to I crochet bind off those pegs without connecting the sleeves somehow? Am I in the wrong spot?
It would be really helpful had the directions included some peg markings (such as "flat panel crochet bind off pegs this to that, your working yarn will be on peg X" etc)

Unknown said...

What does turning peg means

Unknown said...

Is there anyway you can make a YouTube video I have a learning disability and am finding the directions confusing

Unknown said...

I love this pattern and have managed to put the sweater together but have did things that were not correct to get it done. I am having such a difficult time trying to figure out the correct way to do the section to create neck opening. I understand that I knit back to get to peg 9 and to bind off 9-4, my problem is when I get to peg 3 and the working yarn is at peg 3, how on earth do I get to peg 24 to begin the knitting and the increase to peg 5. The only way I can figure out to do this is to break the yarn at peg 3 but you do not say to do that. I know you are very busy but if you or someone who has figured it out could offer some help I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Yes sorry to bother but is there anyway to get numbers in order to make this sweater larger for like a toddler

Anonymous said...

Hi! Is it possible to make this pattern on a knifty knitter long loom? If so, which one? Sorry for the maybe stupid question but i am a loom knitting beginner and also an expecting mother ;-)