Our daughter is a very sweet child. When she received birthday money a few weeks ago, she decided that she wanted to go to Build-A-Bear workshop to make a bear for her great-grandmother who is ill. Ironically, the money had come from her great-grandmother and her great-great uncle Paul (g.g.'s brother and caregiver). As things go, the illness is terminal and Grammy will not be with us much longer. We've known that for at least a week, but had not told the children. As I finished working on the first communion dress Saturday, I asked Daughter to look through my patterns for stuffed animals. Then, I suggested that we make one for Grammy instead. Daughter loved that idea! She picked out the fabric for a bunny but when we didn't have quite enough decided a bear would be fine. She hoped the bear would get there in time for Grammy's 91st birthday this Thursday. I ensured her that it would, but had then had to explain that Grammy might not live until then. Without missing a beat, she replied, "That's ok, Mommy. We can give it to Uncle Paul then as a memory of her." I was touched.update: Grammy died May 5, 2008 at 10:40 pm. She did not get to see the bear. Daughter decided that she did want to give it to "Paul-Paul" as a remembrance instead of burying it with Grammy.
2 comments:
This is so beautiful!
What a sweet daughter! It will be a treasure and a comfort definitely to Uncle Paul and Great Grandmother!
Thanks for sharing!
How beautiful. The fabric is just perfect and how wonderful that you already had it. Your daughter is so very sweet to want to use her own money to make something for her great grandmother. The bear will be a treasure for her, and when she is gone, for her brother. Thank you for all you do for Cooper. I am so very grateful.
Post a Comment