Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Red, White, and Blue Day

Today was Red, White, and Blue Day at school to celebrate the U.S. Constitution. 4th grade Daughter has been working on memorizing the Preamble. She didn't have much in her closet to make an outfit with those colors. So last night after I got everyone to bed, and unbeknownst to her, I made her a dress.

I had planned on it being a skirt, but the pattern I drafted was a little, ok a LOT, on the long side. So I added the straps and sash and turned it into a dress. She was so excited when she got up! It did turn out cute. Best of all, it was a stash eater! :)
I have wanted to make a swirl skirt for her, but hadn't yet gotten around to it. One popular pattern for girls as been Studio Tantrum's Redondo but I never purchased it. I do have a women's patten by Park Bench but knew it would be too big. Then while surfing, I came across this page on Flicker. That was all I needed to draft my own. I made 8 panels and serged the seam together. Then I pressed and top-stitched them to one side. I even did a rolled hem on the serger. It really was a quick project! Of course, it came out too big for the planned skirt, but it all worked out in the end!
Maybe I'll even try to re-draft a better skirt pattern for her some day.

No comments: