I've been busy getting things ready for the kids for that first day. I've completed an lunch bag and have three more to do. I hope to get pictures up for that soon. My latest effort was a Messenger bag for DD who will be entering the middle school. She decided she would rather have a messenger-style bag than a backpack. I had made her a great backpack last year and it lasted well. The fabric wore out as the laminated covering pulled off the cotton in a lot of places. The bag is still ok to use, just not waterproof, and looks a bit ratty like it has been put through its paces. Then again, it was!
So without any further rambling, here it is! I am quite thrilled with the results:
That's not a great picture, but it's a great bag! It's a little heavy, even empty, but DD loves it. It's a self-made pattern created with the inspiration of other bags, both DIY and ready-made, and our own ideas. I used every bit of the one yard of red heavy duty fabric (Cordura???) that Mom picked up at her favorite fabric place. Thanks, Mom!!! The bottom is a piece of heavy vinyl to make sure it survives the floors. I lined it with quilting cotton, a piece of pink/red/purple fairies that has been languishing way too long in my stash. It came from Fabric.com at least 5 years ago. I used a canvas inner layer just for the main pocket. I also used the red fabric for the bottom of the main pocket. I figured a little more durability there would be good!
Here's close-up pictures of all the details:
There is a large zippered pocket on the flap. With it's white zipper, it can be seen in the first picture. If she doesn't want to carry it over her shoulder, I included a handle. I had a nice rubber-type handle that I salvaged from an old bag and re-used it here.
Now I'm off to make a matching zippered pencil bag for her desk. There's not a lot of room, so pencil boxes are not allowed.
Thanks for looking!












1 comment:
Awesome bag! All of those details are great!
Post a Comment