Friday, March 16, 2007

St. Patrick's Sewing

My daughter is still at the age where she likes Mommy to make her a dress for the holidays. I offered to make one for St. Patrick's Day and she jumped at the offer. She picked the fabric out on Saturday at Joann Fabrics. I thought I had some green at home for the bodice, but a trip to Wal-Mart before I even checked my stash netted a perfect green polo on clearance.

The colors are much brighter than they appear. Of course, if you have a new dress, you need a new bag. I got busy making one that will be her new lunch bag. She's really rough on lunch bags and backpacks (she's on her 4th backpack this school year!) and has been carrying her lunch in plastic grocery bags for about a month. Today she had a cute one from The Children's Place and she actually brought it home to reuse. I was able to cut out a bag (no pattern...I made it up on the fly based on the size of the scraps I had left and the size I thought the finished bag should be) while visiting my folks today. I even interlined it with some canvas Mom had leftover from another project. This is the first time I've used the canvas interlining and I think it's a great technique. Here it is:



Cute, huh? I even put a zippered pocket inside for milk money when I'm out of drinks. I had thought the zipper application through and was happy when I came home and a search at http://www.craftster.org/ came up with the same method.



Here's the whole ensemble that a happy 2nd grader will get to use tomorrow:


Now, if the weatherman wasn't predicting 4-8 inches of snow we'd be all set! She was balking at the idea of needing to wear leggings and dress boots with this.

Update: There is a little snow and freezing rain outside with much more snow on the way. That all translates to a school cancellation....much to a certain girl's disappointment. It kind of makes Mommy feel good that the snow day was met with jeers, not cheers! The boys have planned a Veggie Tales movie day since it was going to be movie night anyway.

No comments: